Carob is new to me but I fall in love with the taste. It’s sweeter than cacao and it has caramel- like taste.
What is it? Carob is the fruit of the carob tree that is a member of the pea family and it can reach over 30 feet or 10 meters in height when fully gown. The fruit of the carob tree are called pods, brown in color, and take a year to ripen. The ripe pods contain a sweet pulp that is dried, roasted, and then ground into a powder.
* High in Vitamins and Minerals – Carob contain various minerals like: zinc, copper, magnesium, manganese and selenium. However, it’s especially rich in potassium, iron as well as calcium. Due to high amount of calcium and other alkaline minerals it’s alkalizing food that can help to counter acid levels of other foods and balance body pH. Carob is also high in fiber, pectin, and protein.
Benefits of Carob:
* Reduces Cholesterol – The high fiber content of carob has been linked to lower cholesterol levels
* Digestive Aid – It can be used as a treatment for diarrhea in young children, and presumably adults.
* Caffeine-free – If you’re sensitive to the caffeine present in cacao beans you can use carob as an alternative to chocolate. Although carob doesn’t taste that much like chocolate equal parts of the powder can be used to replace cacao powder in recipes
*Weight loss – The high fiber content can reduce the chance of overeating, and therefore aid in weight loss attempts.
* Cancer prevention – Carob is toxic to some cells, but luckily, it has shown a penchant for being toxic to cancer cells. That, combined with the antioxidant activity of polyphenols which scavenge dangerous free radicals from throughout the body and prevent cancer and other disease.
I use Carob in all my sweet recipes as I love the taste. You guys should try it and you may fell in love with it like I did :).
Easy Brownie recipe is coming soon. Watch this space.
Have a lovely day xxxx